Monday, January 21, 2013

On the Joys of Doing Nothing

“It is surely beyond a doubt that people should be a good deal idle in youth….most boys pay so dear for their medals that they never afterwards have a shot in their locker, and begin the world bankrupt.”

“Books are good enough in their own way, but they are a mighty bloodless substitute for life.”

                        -Robert Louis Stevenson
                        “An Apology for Idlers”


    I had the realization when I woke up naturally with the sunlight beaming through the widows, completely refreshed, sans alarm, that nary a day-off has gone by since early December when I wasn’t climbing, snowboarding, or traveling to see family. Wow. It’s quite ironic; That I’ve been so busy living and feeling alive, now to the point where I’ve also been feeling run down, stale and sick. I think the flu finally hit me, even though my strict IPA and vitamin regimen seemed to be working flawlessly. But, seeing the good in this, I realized I needed a day or two to chill and focus on doing nothing. In fact, I decided to peruse an old favorite, Robert Louis Stevenson’s “An Apology for Idlers.” Yes, you heard it right, a defense of doing nothing!

    Years ago, as a zealous, insanely busy undergrad, I told a professor this essay was a “croc of shit,” no foolin’ I really did, and not even in a more articulate retort. But now, a little more banged up, tired, and generally worldly (both physically and emotionally), I’m starting to get at the core of this pithy little gem of an essay. I really dig what Stevey (You think he’d let me call him that in person?) was trying to proselytize. I decided to take it seriously today, and studiously set about scraping all planned workouts, planned reading, and “general” plans in general.

    I cruised the longboard down the boardwalk instead, and then just relaxed in the warm sand, fully exploiting the 80 degree SD weather. I read some Steinbeck with barely a modicum of attention- I’ll be starting it over again when I switch back to a more studious frame of mind later this week. I did ten minutes of half assed yoga and then decided to go for a walk when concentration eluded me, or a I just stopped caring to concentrate; one of the two. And, finally, I took another walk at sunset on the Sunset Cliffs in OB. This is where it really came together… I left the ipod in the car and just perambulated, to use a contemporary word from the author’s time. I realized that not having a schedule or deadline, especially for the fun, get busy livin’, YOLO stuff was just as liberating as if snowboarding and climbing had been a management meeting or a dentist appointment. It got me thinking about how important moderation is, so the fun stuff stays fun and liberating.

I’ll close with a  final quote:

“He may pitch on some tuft of lilacs over a burn, and smoke innumerable pipes to the tune of the water on the stones. A bird will sing in the thicket. And there he may fall into a vein of kindly thought, and see things in a new perspective. Why, if this be not education, what is?”


    I’m still singularly obsessed with climbing. And snowboarding is a good mental break when I’m tired of contemplating the heinous injuries some lead fall might precipitate, but I’m going to be more refreshed and ready to go after these two days spent in idleness. Always keep in mind that there can be too much of a good thing, and enjoy moderation, even if it’s forced. Thanks Stevey for the insight!

No comments:

Post a Comment